Monday, January 21, 2013



The Don Redman Orchestra filmed for Warner Brothers in 1934.

In addition to my collection of big band remotes, I have a good supply of "soundies" and musical shorts by many of the name bands who filmed for Warner, Universal and MGM.
Here's one that I think you'll enjoy.

Don Redman had a wonderful band  between 1931 and 1934...when he disbanded this band. He had been a member of Fletcher Henderson's legendary 20's Orchestra and in 1928 Redman took over as leader and musical director of McKinney's Cotton Pickers.

The 1920's arrangements that influenced everybody at that time was by Don Redman. He could be credited with the classic big band sound of horns and reeds within the framework of the 3 minute hot jazz arrangement. This is Redman's only short and it also showcases Harlan Lattimore, his band vocalist.known as "The Colored Bing Crosby." Harold Arlen's follow-up to "Stormy Weather", "Ill Wind" is featured on this short.

I'm still searching for the Claude Thornhill WGN TV show I have on 16mm. I transferred it to video years ago, but apparently filed it too well. Watch for it soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment